Speedie & Associates provides geotechnical engineering services for a wide range of private commercial, public works, and transportation projects supported by 38 years of experience with Arizona's soil conditions and locally available materials. Commercial jobs range in size and include office and retail structures to substantial industrial warehouse and office headquarter campuses. Public works projects include international and municipal airports, rural and urban freeways, light rail, water and wastewater treatment facilities, government and educational facilities, and parks and recreation.
Speedie & Associates is known for initiating candid discussions regarding solutions to engineering problems and we are not afraid of recommending and applying alternative or new technologies - no matter how difficult the site. As such, we are regularly involved in design/build projects offering front-end design assistance and recommendations to determine the best course of action.
Speedie & Associates routinely performs complete field geotechncial investigations to provide clients with all aspects of structural soil mechanics information. Speedie has a reputation of being able to complete investigations for even the most difficult to access sites. The following is a brief summary of services available:
- Shallow spread foundations
- Mat/Post tensioned foundations
- Caisson/pile/alternate system foundations - lateral and axial capacity
- Settlement Analysis
- Soil and rock slope stability
- Test shaft investigations
- Airport/Airfield - FAA Pavement design for airports throughout Arizona, including Sky Harbor International Airport and Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport, as well as general aviation airports in such towns as Bullhead City, Sedona, Benson and Nogales.
- Roads - Pavement design on low-volume residential streets to divided, multi-lane highways such as SR360 at Christopher Creek and SR Loop 101 - Glendale to Northern.
- Parking Lots - Parking lot pavement systems for facilities ranging from small offices to very large retail and industrial centers and trucking depots.
Structures or pavements may exhibit signs of distress such as excessive cracking and differential settle- ment. Speedie & Associates has frequently been involved with engineering teams in an effort to determine the causes of these structural distresses, as well as developing quality, cost-effective rehabilitation design solutions.
Speedie & Associates provides an array of consulting services to assist our clients with environmental management challenges. We understand that a comprehensive, timely and active response to environmental issues is essential to protect the environment and guard against financial liability exposure. Our environmental experts perform services that range in scope from reconnaissance-level characterization to comprehensive detailed studies involving facility audits, subsurface explorations and sampling. Our services address environmental issues for both private and public entities including developers, owner/operators, attorneys, buyers and sellers of properties, lenders and banking institutions. Our staff has extensive knowledge of environmental regulations including the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality (ADEQ) guidelines and field investigation procedures as well as Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) analytical test requirements, and we maintain credible working relationships with regulatory agency professionals throughout our practice area.
Phase I, II, and III Environmental Site Assessments (ESAs)
Speedie & Associates offers Environmental Site Assessments for a wide range of property types and uses. Our extensive background in geotechnical and geological engineering qualifies us to conduct subsurface assessments for complete site evaluation and characterization. We have conducted over 3,500 Environmental Site Assessments throughout Arizona and our staff is highly trained and experienced in identifying environmental concerns and providing cost effective and prudent recommendations. Our reports will meet or exceed the ASTM standards and we are also fully prepared to work with our clients to meet a particular need as it relates to scope of services and/or time requirements which may be associated with a specific property sale or acquisition.
AHERA Asbestos Inspections and Management Planning
Our asbestos technicians are AHERA certified and experienced in the identification of Asbestos Containing Materials (ACM's), quantification, management planning and abatement prioritization and project oversight.
Underground Storage Tank (UST)/Aboveground Storage Tank (AST) Investigation and Management Services
- Site Evaluation
- Site Characterization
- Preparation of Applications to the State Assurance Fund
- Remedial System Design, Operation and Maintenance
- We have implemented a wide range of assessment techniques to evaluate UST/AST issues that may include computer modeling, vapor surveys, pilot studies, vapor extraction system operation and other remedial technologies.
Other Environmental Services
- Regulatory Compliance Audits
- Regulatory Permitting
- Surface and Groundwater Sampling
- Radon Testing and Remediation Recommendations
- Lead Based Paint Testing
- Litigation Support
- Remediation and/or Remediation Oversight
Speedie's forensic engineers specialize in the investigation and reporting of construction-related failures. This includes such things as foundations and flatwork. Our engineers are also available to evaluate the suitability of potential construction sites, how the soils at the site will behave in their native state or when they are reworked as fill, the ease with which soil and/or rock can be excavated, or if materials at a site are able to support the proposed construction.
Common issues our forensic engineers evaluate are:
- Expansive Soils
- Collapsible Soils
- Settlement of Shallow and Deep Compacted Fill Soils
- Moisture Intrusion Below Slabs
- Soil Corrosion
- Sulfate Exposure
- Site Runoff and Drainage
- Roadway and Parking Area Pavement Failures
- Slope Stability Failures
- Foundation Failures
- Excavation Failures
- Site Quantity Analysis
- Differing Site Condition Disputes
- Underground Pipeline Failures
Speedie staff have the knowledge, experience, and appropriate certifications to provide Special Geotechnical, Structural, and Architectural Inspections. Our qualified special inspectors have a thorough knowledge of applicable codes and standards, and participate in certification programs administered by the International Code Council (ICC), and the American Welding Society (AWS), in addition to several other discipline-specific certification programs.
- Mass Grading/Filling
- Conventional Foundations and Drilled Shaft Systems
- Micropiles, Helical Piers, and other Alternative Foundation Systems
- Slope Stability and Excavation Shoring
- Tie-Back Systems
- Inclinometer and Gamma Logging of Drilled Shafts
- Concrete - Reinforced
- Concrete - Pre-stressed
- Concrete - Post-tensioned
- Concrete - Epoxy and Mechanical Anchors
- Masonry - Structural
- Structural Steel - Fabrication Plant Certification
- Structural Steel - Fit-up
- Structural Steel - Welding - Visual
- Structural Steel - Welding - NDT
- Structural Steel - High Strength Bolting
- Exterior Insulating and Finish System (EIFS)
- Applied and Adhered Veneer
- Precast Architectural Panels
- Window Wall Systems
- Curtain Wall Systems
- Waterproofing Systems
- Roofing Systems
- Fireproofing - Spray-Applied and Intumescent
Speedie & Associates operates modern, well-equipped construction materials laboratories at all three Arizona office locations. These are capable of analyzing the mechanical and physical properties of soil, aggregate, asphalt and concrete as well as providing support for our geotechnical and field services departments. Our laboratories participate in proficiency programs administered by the Arizona Department of Transportation (ADOT), New Mexico Department of Transportation (NMDOT), the City of Phoenix (COP), the Cement and Concrete Reference Laboratory (CCRL) and the AASHTO Materials Reference Laboratory (AMRL). Laboratory testing services are conducted by certified technicians in either our permanent facilities or in one of our fourteen mobile laboratories which can be mobilized to a specific site when desirable due to project location or the need for expedited testing timeframes.
- Sieve Analysis/Plasticity Index
- Moisture Content/Dry Density
- Moisture-Density Relations
- Swell/Consolidation of Undisturbed and Recompacted Soils
- California Bearing Ratio (CBR)
- Direct Shear
- Durability Index
- Triaxial Compression
- Complete ASTM C-33 Aggregate Analysis
- Hydrometer Analysis
- Asphalt Content and Gradation
- Maximum Theoretical Density
- Specific Gravity and Density of Compacted Asphalt Mixtures
- Viscosity, Softening Point, Resilience, and Penetration of Asphalt Binder
- Mix Design (Marshall, Superpave/SHRP, Hveem, Cold Recycle, Asphalt-Rubber)
- Compression Testing
- Flexural Strength Testing
- Failure Analysis
- Mix Design
- Shrinkage/Expansion Analysis of Hardened Concrete
For laboratory testing, Speedie & Associates owns and maintains equipment necessary to perform a wide variety of tests. A partial listing of these includes: SHRP Gyratory Compactor, Asphalt Ignition Furnace, Liquid Asphalt Lab, Flexible-Wall and Constant Head Permeability Equipment, Marshall Compactor, California Bearing Ratio Equipment, Compression Machines, Direct Shear Device, Atterberg Limits Apparatus, Kneading Compactor, Hveem Asphalt Test Equipment, and R-Value Test Equipment.
Speedie & Associates Materials Laboratory is a leading provider of asphalt mixture design services and materials source evaluations. In addition, our staff has the knowledge and ability to provide a full range of aggregate, concrete, fly ash and cement testing services. With our extensive experience, essential accreditations and qualified personnel, Speedie & Associates is well equipped to supply all the quality control/quality assurance testing and consulting needs of our clients.
The success of your construction project depends on the quality of the construction materials and workmanship. Speedie's construction materials testing and inspection department is fully equipped to monitor all phases of construction and includes full and/or part time QA/QC ensuring adherence to the project's specifications. Our qualified field technicians will sample and test a variety of construction materials which include obtaining and preparing asphalt, concrete, mortar and grout samples for analysis by our fully accredited in-house materials testing laboratory.
You get the best when you choose Speedie!
Speedie employs experienced field and laboratory staff. Our technicians participate in technician certification programs administered by the National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technologies (NICET), the Arizona Technical Testing Institute (ATTI), and the American Concrete Institute (ACI).
Speedie maintains a custom client/project database that provides efficient scheduling and time/cost-tracking of site activities.
Our office and field staff stay in constant contact via the latest in telecommunication software and technology. This includes using smart phones and networked remote access computer capabilities that keep our staff connected.
We even have the ability to set-up portable on-site laboratory trailers. This is perfect for those projects that need a dedicated testing facility at the construction site.
CONSTRUCTION MATERIALS TESTING & OBSERVATION
- Observation of Earthwork Activities for Construction
- In-Place Moisture Content/Dry Density (Nuclear/Sand Cone Tests)
- Soil / Base Sampling
- Asphalt Placement Observation
- Asphalt Sampling
- Masonry Inspection
- Concrete Inspection
- Concrete Sampling
- Compression Testing
- Foundation Inspection
- Precast / Prestressed
- Concrete Fabrication Inspection
- Structural Steel, Bolt Torque Testing and Welding Inspection
- Roofing Inspection
- Fire Proofing Inspection
Our team of specialized testing technicians are dedicated to providing Sound Solutions and Superior Service.
- Floor Surface Analysis - F Number and Straight Edge
- Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR)
- Windsor Probe Testing
- Schmidt Hammer Testing
- Full-Scale Structural Load Testing
- Pullout Testing
- Plate Load Testing
- Crack Monitoring
- Seismic Monitoring